The most exciting two minutes in sports*

March 9- May 1

*Who knew you could celebrate a 2 minute event for 3 weeks? It's Derby season, ya'll!

The Facts
Ashley came to visit! I  knew we were going to have a good time based on the music that was playing ("Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley and "All Star" by Smash Mouth in case anyone was wondering) when we got brunch at Wild Eggs (our fave). We checked out a thrift store and while there magically found a book I'd been on the hunt for. The exchange went a little something like this--

Katie: *rambles on and on about my technique for scouring used book stores*
Ashley: *listens patiently*
Katie: I really wish I could find the fourth book of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. I feel like it's not popular enough to be anywhere and I'll just have to buy a used copy online or something.
*about 30 seconds go by*
Ashley: You mean this one? *holds up THE EXACT BOOK I WAS JUST WHINING ABOUT*

We also found a great children's book to add to my collection. It's about poop. I feel like I have to mention poop at least once in every post.

Ashley and Lincoln sitting in a tree.

After that, we went down Bardstown Road to hit up our beloved Book and Music Exchange and realized none of us had change for the parking meter. After getting out and finding the zone number so we could pay via credit card, I noticed there was still over an hour left on the meter from the person before us! Back at the apartment, Ashley and I made lasagna (a first for both of us) and it was seriously a perfect day.

We got to see Sarah and Van too! It was refreshing to be around people and immediately feel comfortable... and normal... and known. We only got to spend a short amount of time with them, but my face hurt from smiling so much.

We saw Erin and her family (a Cedarville friend/our engagement/wedding photographer) near Cincinnati. We played board games and ate burgers and tried the highly recommended UDF when I was craving a chocolate malt for the drive back home-- home being Louisville in this case.

I was able to spend an entire week in Joliet at my home home to be with my mom after her surgery. It was the longest Joey and I have been apart since getting married and the longest consecutive amount of time I've spent in Joliet since moving away. My primary purpose in being there was taking care of mom, but I did enjoy a visit with Jessica and her son and time with family while there.
I made pizzelles to take to Joliet.

I am terrible at games that involve any kind of secrets or deceit. 

I sorted some stuff in the basement and in the process found an unused disposable camera.

I got back to my Kentucky home in time to attend Thunder with Joey. We also checked out two new game shops. We've been getting into video games a bit more lately. I've found it entertaining to observe how our personalities come out in the games we choose to purchase and the ways we choose to play. For example, Joey was looking for some GameCube classics, but there was a buy so many, get one free deal and I got to pick the free game. I got Paws & Claws: Pet Vet. Joey's trying to guide me through Wind Waker, but I give up really easily and miss obvious clues and let's just say it's been an experience.

Carnival food.
Air show.
Fireworks.

Joey and I took a chance on going out for dinner on Easter. We knew places would either be closed or packed and foolishly, we waited until we were both starving before heading out via bicycle. We were seated, then ignored at Joe's Crab Shack, so we left. We decided to bike across the river to a different seafood place in Indiana, but arrived 10 minutes after it closed. Then, we biked a little further to a Chinese restaurant that was closed and eventually ended up back in Louisville at The Old Spaghetti Factory. Basically, we went on a 50 minute, 7 mile, interstate bike ride to end up 1 mile from our apartment. šŸ˜‚ We were seated in the trolley at the Spaghetti Factory so we had to text or talk in code if we wanted any privacy for our conversation which was honestly kind of fun. It'd also be a good place to go if you're mad at each other since you wouldn't be talking then anyway.šŸ˜

We were able to spend time with John and Leah and their munchkins in Dayton. The visit included eating tasty homemade food and playing Taboo-- a classic. Josepi and I ventured to Cedarville's campus for a few minutes before coming back to Louisville. I forced Joey to ride his bike around the lake once for old time's sake. I wanted to know if I'd still recognize his bike swag from across the water. I could.

Joey and his midlife crisis bike.
NO KISSING ON CAMPUS

We're definitely getting into a routine as far as food we enjoy down here, but we have tried a couple new places. We tried Garage Bar where we had a lamb calzone and eggplant arugula salad. Joey really didn't like this place. It didn't help that this is where we went the day Joey's keys disappeared at work so I think his opinion would have been swayed regardless of where we went. It was loud and he was distracted (rightfully so). We probably won't go back, but I liked the food. Also, the keys were returned about a week later so hallelujah! We biked to Flea off Market and tried a lobster roll from a food truck. We looked around and it was pretty cool, but living so close to Eastern Market has spoiled us as far outdoor markets go. After that, we tried Ramsi's Cafe on the World and it was delicious. We also tried Doc Crow's. It was fine.

The Feelings 
I still really like my care giving job. There have been some changes since I started that make it a bit less enjoyable, but overall, I've been very fortunate to work alongside truly lovely caregivers. Because my entire resume is basically children and old people back and forth, I can't help but make comparisons between the two. Here are some things I've noticed.
  • I love having a job that I don't have to do extra work for on my own time. I can actually enjoy days off from work because I can do things that truly make me feel rested. Mostly, I sleep in, straighten up the apartment, watch a little Netflix, do some reading, write a card or two, pet Iris, draft a blog post, and do a bit of "adulting" (usually something like research doctors on our new insurance plan or call the main office to see if we can use Drano in our bathtub). As a teacher, doing laundry, for example, was a chore I liked as a form of procrastinating from grading papers and lesson planning. As a caregiver, doing laundry is satisfying because that is the task I'm setting out to do. 
  • With teaching, I'm interacting with the students' parents to better understand how to serve them. With care giving, I'm interacting with the residents' children for the same reason.
  • Both jobs are physically and emotionally exhausting, but I love that about them. There was a day during this time frame that I was pulled out of memory care to help up front in assisted living and I was freaking bored. The day was impossibly long. Since then, there have been days where I wished I could get pulled up front again, but overall, I like the busyness and unpredictability of working in the Life Guidance Neighborhood.
This is not real life. I've said many times that I'm grateful for this time of few responsibilities and extra perks. It's weird and it's fun and we get to visit with so many friends, but it won't always be like this. And living like this is not sustainable. Eventually, we'll have to actually start putting roots down somewhere again and form relationships. I'm happy to say we've found people that we get along with down here (well, I have at least), but they aren't quite friends yet. And I'm not sure how deep these relationships will get. And to be completely honest, I like coming home and just hanging out with Joey.

THERE ARE NEVER ENOUGH PICTURES OF IRIS

The Requests
Every month, we get a reminder (the billing statement for the storage unit) that 95% our of earthly belongings are locked up in Michigan... and we realize another month has flown by. I'm sure Joey would disagree with that (his days are looonnggg), but stinking May is already here! What the? I suppose now is a good time to start asking for prayers of clarity about what direction (geographically, career-wise, etc.) to head next. Launch will be over before we know it. And then what? We have no idea.
P.S. We're so grateful to have friends all over the Midwest that want us to be near them forever and ever, but maybe just try to pray that God's will for this coming fall/winter will be made clear to us. I mean, be as specific as you want, but all we're asking for is some clarity. šŸ˜‡

A word from Joey: At the time of this post, Joey was breathing heavily while curled up in the fetal position. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's already June?!?!

I WAS ALMOST DONE WITH THIS