Before We Left


I knew this fall would be different.

Joey and I knew leaving Michigan for his vehicle launch would be a possibility for almost an entire year before launch actually rolled around. It was a tentative plan and we often told others (and ourselves) something along the lines of "we might be going, but don't count on it because Ford could always change their mind and send someone else." As it got closer, the more the idea seemed exciting. We were coming off a difficult year of marriage and a difficult year of service. We were totally drained and the possibility of a fresh start was looking better and better as each month went by.

I decided to resign from teaching so I could go with Joey to Louisville. I had one small moment of doubt in the process, but the decision was actually pretty easy. I miss my students and I wish I had a chance to tell them goodbye. (I was going to tell them on the last day, but school ended up being canceled so students and their parents had to find out via the internet). I didn't know how much I would enjoy my newfound "free" time once the school year started. I spent my days purging and packing and sorting and COOKING. 😲 I liked making a to do list for myself and actually getting through most of it in the day. I had so many lovely lunches with friends (although there are some people I didn't get a chance to see-- I'm sorry! As you might imagine, not working when a lot of your work friends are still employed at school makes getting together for lunch difficult.) 

Re-homing Spike was incredibly difficult for me (emotionally and literally- the shelters and humane societies sent me in circles) and I appreciate the help and encouragement that so many people provided for me. Special shout-out to Whitney for being with me during and after the actual drop off. I left Spike with a dear friend who will be assisting in getting him to a barn in Alabama. When we got to her house, he walked right out of the carrier and started exploring his temporary home. I felt like I just dropped my baby off at kindergarten and realized he didn't need me as much as I thought he did, but I suppose that's the best I could hope for. It was an answer to prayer and the best possible solution for the most stressful aspect of transitioning our lives to Louisville.

We said good bye for now to our family at Grace Baptist. During the last few months, things had been looking up at church so leaving became unexpectedly bittersweet. We had a very special last Sunday and were reminded of all the good things (i.e. friends) that came from sticking it out there. 


Grace Baptist Church Family

We know we'll be in Louisville for about a year (and after that, we have no clue where we'll end up), so if you're bored and want to read about all the places we're going to eat while we're down here, you can follow along on this blog. 😏

A word from Joey: "The last few months in Rouge were a sip of water after a long time in the desert... and then we left." 😂

Comments

  1. I'd love to come visit! I have a couple friends in that area and it's been a while since I've been to Louisville. Hooray for new beginnings and new things!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most exciting two minutes in sports*

It's already June?!?!

I WAS ALMOST DONE WITH THIS