I could get used to this.
Week 1: November 2-9, 2018
The Facts
The day before we left was packed (pun originally unintended, but I'm leaving it so I guess now it is intended) with loading the storage unit Tetris-style, dropping off Spike, organizing the remaining piles in the house, and actually getting some sleep before the drive. All the prep leading up to this day was smooth and surprisingly stress free. This day-- the very important last day in Michigan before seeing our new residence for the first time-- was not smooth or stress free. But you know what, everything still worked out. Our basic goals for the day were accomplished (with a very last minute request for help--thanks, Van and Justin!) even though it wasn't on my anticipated time schedule. People must have been praying for us because through all of this busyness (and especially the chaos of that last day), Joey and I have been getting along swimmingly. I'm guessing this is also partly to do with the intense (in the best possible way) pastoral visits we'd been soaking up before we left.
Despite getting a later start than we had hoped, the drive down was remarkably easy. Iris, who had never been in a car longer than 20 minutes before this, did a marvelous job and hardly made a peep the entire 6 hour journey. She made up for it by crying and trying to bust our bedroom door down all night long the first night though. She has been less whiny at night as the week has gone on, but she's a bit needier than we anticipated. We got her a new cat tree (from a pet supply store basically around the corner) and she loves it so I think that helps some.
After unloading the vehicles, we settled into our new place with food from Feast BBQ and an episode of Portlandia. We foolishly drove to Feast before realizing we could have walked there. That mistake was not made again during our explorations the rest of the week.
Joey had to return to Michigan to get our most prized possessions-- the bikes. I genuinely felt like we didn't bring that much with us (how much do you really need in a furnished apartment after all), but we couldn't get the bikes to fit with the stuff we brought with on the maiden voyage. Not bearing to be without them for more than a day (especially after learning how close we were to essentially everything we could ever need), Joey left the very next morning to make the journey back up for our bikes.
While Joey was gone, I was eager to unpack some of our boxes and make the apartment feel less like a hotel and more like our home. In between unloading, I took advantage of our new cable package and watched all the reruns I could stand of Seinfeld, That '70s Show, Home Improvement, and The Drew Carey Show. I was also eager to check out the local Kroger... and I LOVED it. Upon entry, I saw the cheese shop and knew Joey would be in love too. After a few steps in the produce section, I smelled fresh sushi! Cheese and sushi are not particularly life changing, but this Kroger blows our former Kroger out of the water. On my way back to the apartment, I realized I was starving and on a whim, pulled into Chicken King. This was a great choice, because those chicken tenders and potato wedges were fantastic. Joey got home late after basically spending the entire day in the car-- he got to have dinner with friends in Dayton on his way back though so don't feel too bad for him.
Now that we had our preferred mode of transportation, we biked around the area the following day. We had brunch at Toast on Market (which was literally around the corner) and then just wandered. Joey requested Skyline Chili for dinner so we found the closest one (which was actually quite close-- are you seeing the theme emerging here?) and biked there. Across the street we saw Heine Brothers Coffee and decided to try it out. Not as good as our favorite City Coffeehouse in Allen Park, but not bad. Basically, we ate and rode bikes all day. I love eating and Joey loves bikes so it was a win-win situation.
Joey had election day off and took November 5 off to make it a nice long weekend before starting work. We went riding around the area again. We spent some time at "the ugliest bike shop in town" as described by the owner himself. We had lunch at Dish on Market. I wanted to see the world's largest bat which is only blocks away from another big, famous bat (of the baseball variety).
Joey got his first flat tire on his newly constructed bike, but because he's an experienced cyclist (and mechanical engineer), he had a portable pump and flat kit with us so it only slowed us down temporarily.
While I'm not exactly a fan (it's just too popular), Joey wanted Chick-Fil-A for dinner. Our first two attempts took us to a hospital and then the student center of the University of Louisville. We felt weird going in to either of those locations so plans for Chick-Fil-A were scrapped and we had Chicken King instead.
For Joey's last day before his grueling work schedule started up, we --SURPRISE SURPRISE-- rode our bikes around. We found another bike shop (around a different corner). I bought a children's book while we were there. I wish all bike shops sold books. We had burgers at Grind and tried the famous chocolate chip cookie at Please and Thank You. Joey learned about free game nights at Heroes and wished his board game pals were closer. After that, we spent a quiet evening in our apartment with Iris and Netflix.
While Joey has been at work, I've continued sorting, started reading books, prepared one dinner (we were too in awe at Kroger to remember to buy normal groceries), and watched '90s reruns.
We ended our first week with dinner at Shoney's and UHF on Amazon Prime. Joey had never seen it even though he can quote lines from it thanks to how often Lauren and I quote it. We also tried the ice cream at Louisville Cream somewhere in all this. I got something with a long title that was okay. I should have gotten less of it though.
And in case anyone cares, we voted via absentee ballots a week before we left. We didn't get stickers to brag about it though unfortunately.
The Feelings
Joey and I both love being so close to so many things. Multiple people have told us that Louisville's actually quite small for a big city. That has been made abundantly clear in our first few days here. Every google search for places important to us has resulted in, "Wow! That's so close!" or "Only .5 miles away!" We can walk most places and then bike to the rest. It's so crazy!
Because Joey had time off for our arrival, this has pretty much felt like a vacation so far. It's weird to think we live here. For now.
Being down to one cat has been strange, but not terrible. Spike and Iris have very different personalities and I miss Spike's quirkiness. Iris has been pretty cuddly though.
Every evening, I get a little sad thinking about how much I wish the people I cared about were here to experience everything too. Joey thinks it might be a touch of Seasonal Affective Disorder kicking in because of Daylight Saving Time.
I have a new favorite commercial. I hold my breath every time it comes on because I can't control my emotions when I see it. 😂
The Requests
As the blog title suggests, we have enjoyed our first week here. We are struggling to remember that this situation is temporary and we won't always have the luxury of living in the city or the various other perks that come with Joey doing launch. Pray that we are able to strike a balance between continuing to enjoy it with grateful hearts and living frugally while we reevaluate our future goals.
We haven't begun the hunt for a local church yet. We've gotten one recommendation and have learned of a few other places in passing, but haven't attended any services. I'm sort of nervous about this because anyone who remembers the last time we tried to find/join a church, knows it was unpleasant and draining. Joey and I know how to handle conflict a lot better now than we did then, but I'm still nervous. There's a lot that could be prayed for regarding this request.
Joey's first few days of work haven't been as exhausting as expected. We're thankful for that, but pray for rest in preparation for the long days that are inevitably coming.
A word from Joey: "I had kangaroo jerky this week. Makes me proud to be called Joey. #junglejims"
The Facts
The day before we left was packed (pun originally unintended, but I'm leaving it so I guess now it is intended) with loading the storage unit Tetris-style, dropping off Spike, organizing the remaining piles in the house, and actually getting some sleep before the drive. All the prep leading up to this day was smooth and surprisingly stress free. This day-- the very important last day in Michigan before seeing our new residence for the first time-- was not smooth or stress free. But you know what, everything still worked out. Our basic goals for the day were accomplished (with a very last minute request for help--thanks, Van and Justin!) even though it wasn't on my anticipated time schedule. People must have been praying for us because through all of this busyness (and especially the chaos of that last day), Joey and I have been getting along swimmingly. I'm guessing this is also partly to do with the intense (in the best possible way) pastoral visits we'd been soaking up before we left.
Despite getting a later start than we had hoped, the drive down was remarkably easy. Iris, who had never been in a car longer than 20 minutes before this, did a marvelous job and hardly made a peep the entire 6 hour journey. She made up for it by crying and trying to bust our bedroom door down all night long the first night though. She has been less whiny at night as the week has gone on, but she's a bit needier than we anticipated. We got her a new cat tree (from a pet supply store basically around the corner) and she loves it so I think that helps some.
After unloading the vehicles, we settled into our new place with food from Feast BBQ and an episode of Portlandia. We foolishly drove to Feast before realizing we could have walked there. That mistake was not made again during our explorations the rest of the week.
Joey had to return to Michigan to get our most prized possessions-- the bikes. I genuinely felt like we didn't bring that much with us (how much do you really need in a furnished apartment after all), but we couldn't get the bikes to fit with the stuff we brought with on the maiden voyage. Not bearing to be without them for more than a day (especially after learning how close we were to essentially everything we could ever need), Joey left the very next morning to make the journey back up for our bikes.
While Joey was gone, I was eager to unpack some of our boxes and make the apartment feel less like a hotel and more like our home. In between unloading, I took advantage of our new cable package and watched all the reruns I could stand of Seinfeld, That '70s Show, Home Improvement, and The Drew Carey Show. I was also eager to check out the local Kroger... and I LOVED it. Upon entry, I saw the cheese shop and knew Joey would be in love too. After a few steps in the produce section, I smelled fresh sushi! Cheese and sushi are not particularly life changing, but this Kroger blows our former Kroger out of the water. On my way back to the apartment, I realized I was starving and on a whim, pulled into Chicken King. This was a great choice, because those chicken tenders and potato wedges were fantastic. Joey got home late after basically spending the entire day in the car-- he got to have dinner with friends in Dayton on his way back though so don't feel too bad for him.
Now that we had our preferred mode of transportation, we biked around the area the following day. We had brunch at Toast on Market (which was literally around the corner) and then just wandered. Joey requested Skyline Chili for dinner so we found the closest one (which was actually quite close-- are you seeing the theme emerging here?) and biked there. Across the street we saw Heine Brothers Coffee and decided to try it out. Not as good as our favorite City Coffeehouse in Allen Park, but not bad. Basically, we ate and rode bikes all day. I love eating and Joey loves bikes so it was a win-win situation.
Joey had election day off and took November 5 off to make it a nice long weekend before starting work. We went riding around the area again. We spent some time at "the ugliest bike shop in town" as described by the owner himself. We had lunch at Dish on Market. I wanted to see the world's largest bat which is only blocks away from another big, famous bat (of the baseball variety).
![]() |
| World's Largest Bat |
Joey got his first flat tire on his newly constructed bike, but because he's an experienced cyclist (and mechanical engineer), he had a portable pump and flat kit with us so it only slowed us down temporarily.
![]() |
| Trying to find the hole. |
While I'm not exactly a fan (it's just too popular), Joey wanted Chick-Fil-A for dinner. Our first two attempts took us to a hospital and then the student center of the University of Louisville. We felt weird going in to either of those locations so plans for Chick-Fil-A were scrapped and we had Chicken King instead.
For Joey's last day before his grueling work schedule started up, we --SURPRISE SURPRISE-- rode our bikes around. We found another bike shop (around a different corner). I bought a children's book while we were there. I wish all bike shops sold books. We had burgers at Grind and tried the famous chocolate chip cookie at Please and Thank You. Joey learned about free game nights at Heroes and wished his board game pals were closer. After that, we spent a quiet evening in our apartment with Iris and Netflix.
While Joey has been at work, I've continued sorting, started reading books, prepared one dinner (we were too in awe at Kroger to remember to buy normal groceries), and watched '90s reruns.
We ended our first week with dinner at Shoney's and UHF on Amazon Prime. Joey had never seen it even though he can quote lines from it thanks to how often Lauren and I quote it. We also tried the ice cream at Louisville Cream somewhere in all this. I got something with a long title that was okay. I should have gotten less of it though.
And in case anyone cares, we voted via absentee ballots a week before we left. We didn't get stickers to brag about it though unfortunately.
The Feelings
Joey and I both love being so close to so many things. Multiple people have told us that Louisville's actually quite small for a big city. That has been made abundantly clear in our first few days here. Every google search for places important to us has resulted in, "Wow! That's so close!" or "Only .5 miles away!" We can walk most places and then bike to the rest. It's so crazy!
Because Joey had time off for our arrival, this has pretty much felt like a vacation so far. It's weird to think we live here. For now.
Being down to one cat has been strange, but not terrible. Spike and Iris have very different personalities and I miss Spike's quirkiness. Iris has been pretty cuddly though.
Every evening, I get a little sad thinking about how much I wish the people I cared about were here to experience everything too. Joey thinks it might be a touch of Seasonal Affective Disorder kicking in because of Daylight Saving Time.
I have a new favorite commercial. I hold my breath every time it comes on because I can't control my emotions when I see it. 😂
The Requests
As the blog title suggests, we have enjoyed our first week here. We are struggling to remember that this situation is temporary and we won't always have the luxury of living in the city or the various other perks that come with Joey doing launch. Pray that we are able to strike a balance between continuing to enjoy it with grateful hearts and living frugally while we reevaluate our future goals.
We haven't begun the hunt for a local church yet. We've gotten one recommendation and have learned of a few other places in passing, but haven't attended any services. I'm sort of nervous about this because anyone who remembers the last time we tried to find/join a church, knows it was unpleasant and draining. Joey and I know how to handle conflict a lot better now than we did then, but I'm still nervous. There's a lot that could be prayed for regarding this request.
Joey's first few days of work haven't been as exhausting as expected. We're thankful for that, but pray for rest in preparation for the long days that are inevitably coming.
A word from Joey: "I had kangaroo jerky this week. Makes me proud to be called Joey. #junglejims"


Skyline Chili is always on our list when we are in Cinci!
ReplyDeleteWe had it again today! I always knew Joey loved it, but I'm being swayed now too!
DeleteDo you have some churches in mind you'd like to try out? I have some friends in the area that I'm sure could recommend some if you'd like. But I know too many choices can be overwhelming. I'm definitely jealous of all of that convenience!! I guess that's the price I pay for living in the mountains of a developing country. Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying things so far and mindfully moving forward. I'm also really grateful you're blogging! Hooray!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the encouragement! And only one church was recommended to us. We tried it out today, but we are definitely open to learning about more so please send suggestions!
Delete1. that commercial. wut.
Delete2. i want food too, no fair
3. can you come back yet?
4. I am so happy that you are settling in!
5. hugs to iris.